Why Coloring at an early age is important

why coloring is important at an early age! Coloring with your baby can help them prepare to learn to read. www.teachingtotwins.com

Your baby never too young to start coloring with you.

While some studies have shown that parents that color earlier with their children, encourage the development of their child creativity, other studies are finding an important correlation between coloring and something called graphonemic knowledge, which is the ability to recognize differences in shapes and symbols that eventually contribute to learning to read.

While in previous post we have discussed the importance of vocabulary exposure (link here) Coloring is just one more simple way you can take the first steps with your child to give them a head start on reading.

When your child is too young, color on a clipboard Baby coloring- How it can make them prepared for reading later on. www.teachingtotwins.comletting them see you choose a color and then begin to fill in the picture. As they are able to (about 10-12 months) begin helping them hold the crayon and scribble. It may feel a little silly, but you are helping them develop the fine motor skills they will need later on.

As your children start wanting independence in coloring come up with new ways to incorporate it, such as coloring in a box or on a giant poster board.

Encourage them to add scribbles below theirA parents guide on how young children learn to write, and how parents can help. Teachingtotwins.com drawing to help “tell a story” this will become writing later on. To read more about how to help your child develop writing here are two guest articles I wrote that have activity ideas and feedback examples:

Don’t forget to do something with those coloring pages. I like putting mine in thank you cards to Grandparents or cousins.

Happy coloring!

Baby coloring- how it can help them learn to read later on. www.teachingtotwins.comWith Love,

Dani

This entry was posted in Baby development Activities and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Why Coloring at an early age is important

1. Ashley Voicu says:

I have seen baby as early as 12 months who started learning. It is unbelievable but so amazing to see a baby learn quickly, either to read or distinguish.

2. Ashley J. says:

So important to encourage creativity at a young age; I love the suggestion of adding scribbles to tell a story until the can write.

3. Tara says:

I am a big advocate of early learning. Little ones can do so much. We do a lot of coloring!

4. Samantha says:

Coloring is one of our favorite activities! It is a great activity for young and old!

5. lex says:

always a great idea to allow the kids start colouring at a young age and get mastered in the art. great post you have here.

6. ohmummymia says:

It’s not silly! great post:) I will teach my baby as soon as possible:)

7. Ruxandra says:

Coloring is a great way to improve creativity!

8. katriza says:

I took an art history 101 class recently to fulfill a requirement for my degree and I actually learned about this and how coloring, drawing, etc truly build a child’s cognitive skills and it’s truly sad to see that as we grow up, we do these things less and less.

9. michenn says:

I don’t have kids yet but this was a very interesting read. Thank you!

michenn

michenn Accessorizing with ThePeachBox

10. Now I understand why coloring was a such a huge part of my first years of school! I loved it!

11. Lay says:

This was very interesting and informative! So many things one can do to help children to develop to their best potential

12. Great info, especially for spending time with my nephew!

13. andrea says:

Coloring is one of my favorite hobbies and the love for it started when I was a very young child

14. Leslie says:

That is so interesting. Plus coloring is fun!

15. Idriss says:

Great post for all parents out there ! Thank you for sharing

16. I love to color with my girls, and have many times purchased toddler-friendly crayons for 1st birthdays. It’s good to know that it helps with later reading, we have strong vocabularies and readers here!

17. Katrina says:

Getting your kiddos introduced to creativity at a young age is crucial for them to better learn and retain information later. And I still love coloring in my adult coloring books lol

18. Janine says:

Colouring is such a great activity! It helps with motor skills and identifying items and the colours themselves! It is an underestimated skill.

19. Amy says:

Very good post.. adorable babes!

20. Jennifer says:

Great idea to have children color/scribble after reading a story. I read a lot to my 3 year old, and I never thought to have her show me what she learned by telling her to color a picture after reading. I love this idea! We just started preschool homeschool, so I am going to use your tip this week! Thank you!

21. Rebecca says:

I loved coloring as a child. My children did some coloring, but not as much as I used to. Didn’t realize how important it can be.

22. Amber says:

My kids have always started coloring as babies. They loved it!

23. Ivonne says:

How cute! I had my boys colouring at an early age as well and especially during the holidays they loved to colour in their colouring books and hand them out as Christmas presents, not only did it teach them creativity it taught them to how to share and give of themselves and the rewards they were returned with were worth everything; praise and love returned for their hard and creative work!

24. Shine Light says:

Coloring is always good!
    I color also when i m stressed!

25. heidi says:

Coloring is amazing and I agree it helps children’s development so much. I still color, it’s very relaxing and they make adult coloring books now.